Trending on Twitter:
1. Tanzania – Kenyans have continued to call out Tanzania for their lax measures against the corona pandemic and their president’s stubborn attitude. He has allowed public gatherings like services in churches and mosques to go on as usual, claiming that the cure for the virus is in the places of worship. There is a video going round Twitter in which a pastor claims that the more his church members give in offering, the more protected they are from the virus. This has been likened to Kinjeketile Ngwale’s Maji Maji scam, which saw many Tanzanians perish. It is feared that this ignorance will lead to the same tragedy as the Maji Maji rebellion.
2. StopChineseRacism – Evidence of not only the mistreatment of Africans in China but also the seemingly general racism and hatred that the Chinese have for Africans has continued to be overwhelming on Twitter. Notable personalities in Kenya have continued to weigh in on this issue, with Yvonne Okwara passionately calling out the government for its disappointing reaction to the matter and Linus Kaikai sharing a video showing the mistreatment of Africans. Meanwhile, Guinean authorities have reportedly arrested all Chinese in the country. The Chinese citizens will be held as insurance for the safe return of Guineans who are in China. #KOT seem to the of the opinion that something should be done in Kenya too and that the President has failed us in his silence on this issue. Some #KOT have even gone as far as suggesting that we should begin taking action on the Chinese in Kenya.
3. Daily Nation – This hashtag has been used to criticize the leading daily newspapers for their habit of using politics, and especially Ruto, to sell their papers. Daily Nation has been referred to as the Daily Ruto. Today, The Standard still found a way to have Ruto on their cover page.
4. Eastleigh – The Eastleigh business community decided to close all shops and malls in Eastleigh excluding supermarkets and hospitals after 2 Eastleigh residents succumbed to corona virus. The town was being fumigated today. Photos on twitter show that it was deserted, with police making rounds.
5. Xtian Dela – Xtian Dela, who has been called the Kenyan Tory Lanez, has been trending as a result of his covid club on Instagram. He runs a live show at night where girls twerk and he gives them money. The money is sent over M-Pesa by people watching the show live. Many #KOT have bashed him as being immoral and promoting immorality whereas others have defended the late night show, claiming that it is a source of employment and that Xtian should be congratulated for it. Tweeps have particularly found issue with a clip that shows a mother twerking as her little children watch. However, there are some who seem to genuinely be enjoying the party and the more Dela trends, the more clients he gets for his shows. #KOT have brought this matter to the attention of Ezekiel Mutua and we are all waiting to see whether he will do anything about it.
6. Zimbabwe – Zimbabwe as a country turned 40 today. They were celebrating 40 years since independence from Britain.
7. coronaviruskenya – In a media briefing, Mutahi Kagwe said that a group had travelled from Nairobi to Homabay, with an empty coffin to help them get past the lockdown checks, only for the driver to test positive in Homabay. #KOT, though mildly condemning the act, don’t seem surprised by it, just as they have not been shocked by the cases of people using ambulances to go to parties. The empty coffin case is being treated as a confirmation of Kenyan’s ignorance, with some tweeps being of the opinion that such ignorance will eventually make Kenya worse than Italy.
8. MasculinitySaturday – This tradition continued, chiefly driven by Eric @amerix, the grand master of masculinity.
9. Luckyyouout – #KOT continued to celebrate the release of Nyashinski’s album – Lucky You. The album has has had a generally good reception so far.
10. Azziad & Flaqo – The duo were trending today after releasing a comedy video together, which has been very well received, with almost everyone praising their talent. Flaqo’s talent has been commended after he played 3 parts in the same video. #KOT seem to want more and have encouraged the two to continue working together to keep the country entertained during the pandemic.
Trending on digital news:
- Coronavirus: Gov’t freezes Raila, former VPs’ retirement benefits over COVID-19. 12,000+ views. Click here to read.
- Songstress Sanaipei Tande promises to look for Abel Mutua after his love confession 16 years later. 33,000+ views. Click here to read.
- Meet CS Kagwe’s wife who is Uhuru’s advisor and late Michuki’s daughter. 65,000+ views. Click here to read.
- William Kabogo fears money allocated for vulnerable families will be stolen: “Wezi ni wale wale.” 6,000+ views. Click here to read.
- Vera Sidika’s light complexion vanishes, reverts back to factory settings in latest photos. 38,000+ views. Click here to read.
- Hospital rejects Matete’s husband death explanation. Click here to read.
- Driver who faked burial to travel to Homabay tests positive. Click here to read.
- 1 covid-19 case costs 1 million to treat – Ministry of Health. Click here to read.
- Raila Junior’s remarks on Ruto blow up in his face. Click here to read.
- 8 Nairobi estates listed as covid-19 time bombs. Click here to read.
Top ten on YouTube
New videos in the top ten are bolded to help you easily track changes
1. Femi One X Mejja – Utawezana Official Video. 3.3 M views in 2 weeks. Same position.
2. Sauti Sol- Brighter Days Official Video ft. Soweto Gospel Choir. 414k views in 1 day. Up from position 7.
3. Willy Paul X Nadia Mukami. Nikune Music Video – 316 views in 4 days. Down from number 2.
4. Dogo Charlie’s Parody of Femi One x Mejja in which he sings for an avocado. 730 k views in 1 week. Down from number 3.
5. Switch TV – DJ Flinch wants Azziad to dance the utawezana song on TV – See her reaction. 259k views in 5 days. Same position.
6. Alikiba – Dodo Official Video, with Hamisa Mobeto featured. 3M views in 1 week. Down from number 4.
7. Pandemik – Benzema x NellyTheGoon x Dmore. Official Music Video. 114k views in 3 days. Down from number 6.
8. DailyNation – AP Officer caught on camera fighting over alleged bribe. 144k views in 4 days. Up from number 10.
9. Churchill Show Sn09 Ep09 Jalango’s Journey – 188 k views in 5 days. Down from number 8
10. Desagu & Miracle Baby Sailors Under Arrest Partying As A Crowd x Alex Mathenge. 180k views in 5 days.
***Follow us on twitter @trends_deku and like our page on Fb @trendsdeku to get daily updates on national trends***