1. Eko Dydda – #KOT were sympathizing with Eko Dydda after he was wrongfully taken to a quarantine station by police. Tweeps have called out the police, who seem keen to milk Kenyans even during such a crisis. The police are apparently putting “troublesome” Kenyans under forceful quarantine for failing to readily comply with their requests for bribes. Eko Dydda’s story only came to light after his plight was broadcasted by the activist Boniface Mwangi.
2. Raila – The Star run an article on today in which they claimed that Raila’s office was allocated sh 72 million by the government. Of course KOT did not take kindly to this.
3. Diana – The name Diana has been trending because some KOT decided that Bahati’s wife – Diana- should henceforth not be included in the trolling against Bahati, apparently because they’ve just remembered that she is a mother. Bahati has been under a lot of trolling on twitter for among other reasons, claiming to be the biggest Gengetone and Gospel artist in Kenya and shutting down the EMB label. Diana has been a victim of Bahati’s trolling, with many trolls focusing on the fact that she is older than Bahati.
4. Ngong – Ngong has been trending as the construction work on Ngong road nears completion. KOT have complained about the lack of bus lanes on the road, saying that it could cause traffic problems. Also, unmarked bumps were installed on Ngong road and it is feared that they will lead to fatal accidents since there are also no signs to indicate their presence. Ngong hills has also been trending as it has become the go to place for parties since the pandemic started. Some #KOT are concerned that such parties could help spread the Corona virus.
5. KenyaVsUganda – An unfortunate Ugandan decided to make fun of the Kenyan National Anthem. This sparked the Kenya Vs Uganda hashtag, which KOT are determined to win as they are the reigning champions of twitter wars. The KOT – under the Twitter DCI arm – were quick to unearth the photos of this pua Ugandan, resulting in a brutal personal attack.
6. TwitterDCI – Twitter DCI have been busy exposing catfish or fake accounts. Thousands of tweeps have been following and engaging with some accounts very enthusiastically because they believe them to be owned by beautiful girls while in reality these accounts are owned by their fellow men. The continued intervention by the DCI is therefore crucial and will save tweeps from potential embarrassment and wasting of shots in the DMs. The accounts exposed today include one that allegedly belonged to Aaliyah, which is operated by one Martin Githinji and another one that supposedly belonged to Salma Zeinab.
7. Bahati – An article in which Kenya is ranked among the top countries in the world for cyber bulling is making its rounds on twitter. As if to confirm this, Bahati is trending and is yet on the receiving end of merciless trolling. A video in which Khaligraph Jones calls Bahati mtoto wa Diana is one of the weapons the trolls are using.
8. Mombasa – CS Mwangangi’s address confirmed that 7 out of the 15 cases today were in Mombasa, pointing at the possibility of community infection there and the need for more caution.
9. KenNgaruiyaMustGo – After MediaMax announced a 50% pay cut for its employees, #KOT descended on its CEO, criticizing him for his bad leadership of the company.
10. KWSthanksYou – KOT used this hashtag to thank all who were helping the nation in this crisis, from the attendants at supermarkets and the agents making home deliveries to the health care workers who continuously risk their lives to take care of Corona patients.
Trending on digital news
1. Warrant of arrest issued for Blogger Cyprian Nyakundi. The blogger published what turned out to be false information about the death of senior official at KRA and failed to show up in a court to answer charges. A warrant of arrest was issued out for him on 21 April. Click here to read more.
2. Journalists to be paid sh500k weekly covering Corona virus. A group of selected journalists that will be covering the Corona virus will be given about half a million every week by the Media Council of Kenya. Journalists covering the pandemic will have the chance to apply for the grant. Click here to read more.
3. Kenyans outraged after government bans fish worth sh. 5 million. Lamu authorities confiscated contraband fish that was headed for Mombasa for Somalia and decided to burn it, rather than distribute it as food to the needy, especially now that most families are struggling financially. Click here to read more.
4. Police salaries slashed by half over leaked video. Two officers who were caught negotiating for a bribe on video have had their salaries halved after the video was broadcasted by k24. Click here to read more.
5. Governor bans alcohol distribution. Alred Mutua has banned the distribution of alcohol within Machakos as a measure against the spread of Corona virus. This is because some people are getting alcohol and throwing parties, increasing the risk of the spread of the virus. Click here to read more.
1. Video of conductor ‘caught’ by police in traffic dancing to Utawezana goes viral. In the video, a makanga takes the opportunity of a temporary stop due to traffic to dance to the Utawezana song. What he doesn’t know is that a police vehicle is slowly approaching from behind and by the time he realizes it, it’s too late. Click here to read more. 129,000+ views.
2. Ken Walibora: Autopsy report shows late author had stab wound on right hand. A pathologist’s report indicates that Walibora had been stabbed on the right hand, in addition to injuries from being hit by a matatu. Eye witness accounts also show that he had been chased by street urchins right before the accident. Click here to read more. 51,000+ views.
3. Kenyans ranked second best in English proficiency in Africa. Kenya has been ranked 18th in the world and second in Africa in English proficiency based on tests that adults took. It comes in after South Africa. In terms of cities, Nairobi is first in Africa, followed by Lagos. Click here to read more. 59,000+ views.
Trending on YouTube:
- Sauti Sol Brighter Days ft Soweto Choir. 672k views in 4 days.
- Bahati: Pain as Bahati speaks out|Reasons why I shut down EMB record label. 217k views in 2 days.
- Willy Paul x Nadia Mukami. Nikune. 464k views in 1 week.
- Femi One x Mejja Utawezana. 3.7M views in 2 weeks.
- Switch Tv Dj Flinch wants Azziad to dance to Utawezana. See her reaction. 379k views in 1 week.
- Ochungulo Family Pandemik. 211k views in 1 week.
- Mark Angel Comedy National Lockdown. 1.1M views in 4 days.
- Dogo Charlie Utawezana Parody. 883k views in 1 week.
- Alikiba Dodo. 3.4M views in 1 week.
- Boondocks Gang 420. 114k views in 1 day.
***Leave your comments for the improvement of this column at the bottom of the page. Follow us on twitter @trends_deku and like our page on Fb at trendsdeku to stay on top of Kenyan Opinion and trends***