1. President Uhuru Kenyatta – In anticipation of the President’s address to the nation, he has been trending. A significant number of KOT still want him to address the issue of bills such as water, electricity and especially rent. After the address, KOT were pleased with the President’s assurance that there was no vaccine testing going on in Kenya by foreign entities. They were however skeptical of Uhuru’s promise to create thousands of jobs through the government’s covid-19 response.
2. Awiti – KOT from the Nyanza region have been complaining about the poor leadership demonstrated by their governors. According to them, Cyprian Awiti of Homabay is the worst, as he has done nothing substantial in the fight against corona and is said to have stolen public funds. On The Standard’s front page, Awiti and Anyang’ Nyong’o were among the governors termed as villains for their poor performance during the pandemic.
3. Another 21 – Following the President’s announcement that the curfew would be extended for another 21 days, this hashtag started trending as KOT used it to express their opinions on the extension. Some were of the opinion that they did not know how they would make it through another 21 days on lock-down.
4. DynastySewage – KOT have been using this hashtag to comment on the public property grabbed by the Kenyatta dynasty, the Moi dynasty and by Ruto. They seem to be of the opinion that for justice to really be done and for corruption to be dealt with in Kenya, these dynasties must give up the land they grabbed. Some KOT claim that Ruto supporters are justifying his alleged land grabbing by bringing up the land grabs by Kenyatta and Moi families. Others seem to think that all top politicians are worthless looters and should be rejected in favor of fresh, young leaders.
5. Joho – The Mombasa governor’s esteem in the eyes of KOT has continued to rise. Most of them continue to applaud the governor’s measures in the fight against covid-19. Today, after he shared a podium with the President, KOT have continued to see him as a leader of greatness and are even hinting that he should one day occupy that podium as the President.
6. MasculinitySaturday – This weekly trend continues to gain popularity and consolidate its position as the go to place for men’s advice on how to be better men. Here are some of the most popular tweets today by Eric, the promoter of the hashtag.
7. Amerix – Amerix, the sponsor of the MasculinitySaturday hashtag, in which he gives advice to men – has continued to gain influence among KOT men. They consider his advice to be solid, reasonable and the best thing for their masculinity. He has also been advising men to take up exercise and eat properly and a good number have actually followed his advice. In short, all the Kenyan men on twitter look up to him. However, his comments have been ruffling the feathers of KOT ladies. Also, his advice today about taking cold showers in the morning did not go well with a number of his followers.
8. Kirinyaga – KOT from Kirinyaga have given reports of a meteor landing and causing a loud thumping noise. Some are associating the meteor to the apocalyptic asteroid that had been predicted to hit earth in April. Kirinyaga has also been trending after a feud between Ann Waiguru and KEMRI, in which she refused to surrender the title of some land unless certain conditions were met. KEMRI are said to have gone ahead and gotten the title of the land from the national government.
Trending on Digital News
1. Government overrules Waiguru. After the Kirinyaga governor denied a title deed to KEMRI, the medical research institute went above her and got the deed from the national government. KEMRI is now free to build a medical research center, a university and a level 5 hospital on the 100 acre land. Click here to read more.
2. President Kenyatta announces 26,000 jobs. In a new government initiative, the National Hygiene Program, Uhuru says that he will provide 26,000 jobs for youth in the next 30 days. Moreover, in the coming months, the program is expected to create up to 100,000 employment opportunities for young Kenyans. Click here to read more.
3. Flight to bring Kenyans from UK cancelled. The Kenyan commission in UK said the reason for cancelling the flight was the difficulty encountered in testing Kenyans for covid-19 before they could board. In the UK, only sick people who have been admitted to hospitals are getting tested for corona. At the same time, before boarding the flight to Kenya, it is a requirement that the passenger proves that he or she has not covid-19. Click here to read more.
1. Joy as Liverpool set to be crowned champions after latest UEFA directive. After UEFA insisted that the current season would not be declared null and void, Liverpool, with their 25 points lead, are set to take the Premier League crown. According to UEFA, the season had to be done by June 20th. Click here to read more.
2. Kenyan newspapers review for April 24. The Star and The People Daily report on the president’s determination to reclaim grabbed land especially in Nairobi. The Standard reports on the President’s secret plan to form a coalition with Raila and Gideon Moi. The Daily Nation covers the challenges facing learners following the government’s insistence on online learning. Taifa Leo reports on quarantine facilities which have been turned into remand centers for curfew violators. Click here to read more.
3. Ruth Matete’s Nigerian husband died from sepsis after suffering 60% burns – Autopsy. The Nigerian Embassy has asked for the DCI to hold the husband’s body until the embassy gave consent for its burial. The autopsy report shows that John Beloved, the husband, died from sepsis and multiple organ failure induced by burns. Click here to read more.
Trending on YouTube:
- Khaligraph Jones ft Masauti Hao. Official Music Video. 702k views in 3 days.
- Sauti Sol Brighter Days ft Soweto Choir. 865k views in 1 week.
- Bahati: Pain as Bahati speaks out|Reasons why I shut down EMB record label. 276k views in 6 days.
- Willy Paul x Nadia Mukami. Nikune. 595k views in 1 week.
- Daily Nation. Homa bay driver’s full viral video claiming he is healthy. 150k views in 4 days.
- Boondocks Gang 420. 202k views in 5 days.
- Mark Angel Comedy National Lockdown. 1.5M views in 1 week.
- Femi One x Mejja Utawezana. 4.1M views in 3 weeks.
- Ochungulo Family Pandemik. 274k views in 1 week.
- Switch TV. Dj Flinch wants Azziad to dance to the Utawezana song in studio. See her reaction. 459k views in 1 week.
***Leave your comments for the improvement of this column at the bottom of the page. Follow us on twitter @trends_deku and like our page on Fb at trendsdeku to stay on top of Kenyan Opinion and trends***