1. KEMRI – KOT did not take kindly to the news that Mutahi Kagwe had decided to replace the head of testing at KEMRI, simply because he had delayed test results. They are convinced that firing a top scientist during a pandemic is unwise and that there is more than meets the eye. And it seems there is, because as the Daily Nation reports, there was insufficient reason to replace him and due protocol was not followed in demoting a director. He might have been sacked because he demanded for more money to be allocated to KEMRI, which has been abandoned by the government. At the same time, Raila has called for us to question the dominance of the CDC over KEMRI and other similar African institutions and to find ways of making our institutions more independent.
2. Churchill – Apparently, the comedians on Churchill Show don’t get paid in form of money but through exposure. KOT are not happy about this and are calling on Churchill to pay the comedians their dues, saying that he clearly makes a lot of money and should be able to pay them. However, there are some who think that it’s okay for the comedians not to be paid because they should actually pay Churchill for such exposure. It’s therefore a fair deal. Churchill himself tweeted that one day, we would know the truth and that the truth would set us free. He has not directly commented on the accusations. However, he retweeted a message that encouraged him to ignore the ungrateful attitude of one or two comedians yet his show feeds hundreds of families.
3. Babu Owino – The Embakasi MP amused KOT after he directed Education CS Magoha to submit this year’s examination papers to him before students sat for them. Babu Owino would then ensure that only what has been taught so far is tested. This is in line with the concerns expressed by KOT over online learning. Many are of the opinion that the government’s online learning directive is impractical and cannot work due to numerous challenges, including inadequate internet, lack of electricity in some areas and poor learning environments.
4. Bahati – Bahati has continued to attract the hatred and ridicule of KOT. It’s as if he’s making his haters mad intentionally. Earlier today, he released a video in which he has on his wife’s dress and is in her high heels. He then proceeds to do an imitation of Akothee. In the caption, he says that he had been forced to the video for TikTok by Diana. KOT were not very happy and most seem to have given him up as hopelessly lost. Some think that Bahati is suffering depression and genuinely pity him. However, Bahati himself seems to have completely made peace with the fact that he will always be trolled and has even taken to sharing some of the hate messages against him.
5. Dr Rashid Aman – The Ministry of Health CAS is the new KOT darling. He has been described as sober and articulate and Kenyans think he should be the one giving the press conferences from now henceforth. KOT are tired of the CS, after he dismissed a top researcher in KEMRI. In addition, they are tired of his “threats.” They also seem to be forgetting Ms Mwangangi, with a few calling her overrated. Mwangangi still has fans. However, Mutahi Kagwe has managed to get into the bad books of almost everyone.
6. Nyeri – Nyeri residents are being blamed by KOT for not telling the nation what sort of man Mutahi Kagwe was. They are said to have kept from us the reasons why they rejected him as their leader and instead waited for us to find out. According to KOT, we have eventually found out after he sacked a top KEMRI official right in the middle of a pandemic, with an unsatisfactory reason. Mutahi has been a politician in Nyeri and has served as an MP and a senator. Some KOT think that he is only giving us PR stunts as the Minister of Health so that he can gain political mileage for the Nyeri Governor’s seat come 2022.
7. George Magoha – The Education CS has come under fire from KOT for his insistence that the exams are still scheduled to go on and especially for saying that students will be learning online. KOT are making fun of him after Babu Owino directed the CS, who was his vice-chancellor at UON, to give the exams to Babu for verification before giving them to students. KOT think Magoha is inconsiderate of the different livelihoods of students, since many cannot afford online education.
8. Alai – Alai decided to attack Churchill Ndambuki, claiming that the Churchill Show proprietor doesn’t pay his comedians. As a result, Alai has come under massive fire from KOT. With over 1.4 M followers, Alai is one of the most influential people on twitter and many KOT take what he says to be the truth. However, none of Churchill’s comedians has come out to publicly claim that he has not been paid, which to some KOT sheds doubt on Alai’s assertion. In another tweet, Alai claimed that the KEMRI researcher was dismissed because the covid-19 results we were getting were cooked.
9. Mutahi Kagwe – KOT have continued to express their displeasure with the Health CS, who swiftly fell from grace after deciding to sack a top official at KEMRI.
10. Prophet Elvis Mbonye – This Ugandan self-proclaimed prophet has been trending in Kenya. He airs live on NTV Uganda and according to his followers, has an unprecedented record of prophetic fulfillment. His followers can be found in Uganda, Kenya and even Tanzania.
Trending on Digital News:
1. Schools likely to reopen in June, exams still on – CS Magoha. The CS has extended the closure of schools by one month and says that the KCPE and KCSE exams are still on. However, he says that students will have been given enough time to cover up before they seat for the exams. Click here to read more. Citizen Digital
2. Researchers demand answers over dismissal of Kemri scientist. Colleagues of Dr Lutomiah, the former Center for Virus Research Director, have insisted that the manner in which he was dismissed did not follow the right procedure. Furthermore, they say the reason for which he has been dismissed was not his fault. Click here to read more. Nation
3. Kenya potentially has 10,000 covid-19 cases. The Ministry of Health had projected that we would have 2% out of all tested people turning out positive for covid-19. This rate has so far proved true. So far, only about 13,000 Kenyans have been tested, meaning that if mass testing was implemented, we’d have way more positive cases. Click here to read more. Kenyans.co.ke
4. SDA worshippers arrested for holding a church service. The 57 members of the SDA Mitume church in Trans Nzoia allegedly took Justice Aaron Makau’s ruling to mean that the ban on church gatherings had been lifted. However, the Deputy County Commissioner has said that ignorance is no defense and the group will serve as an example to others. Click here to read more. People Daily
5. Kenyan men threaten to disregard covid-19 precautions after CAS Mwangangi said she had a partner. The 33 year old CAS, in an interview, said that though she was highly married to her work, she has a very supportive partner. Some Kenyan men, who said that they had only been following the precautions after Mwangangi came into the picture, were very disappointed and felt cheated on. Click here to read more. Tuko
6. Kenyan varsity to hold graduation ceremony amid covid-19. Dedan Kimathi University is set to hold a virtual graduation ceremony on 8th May. Students and the public will access it through the university’s official FB, Twitter and YouTube pages. Click here to read more. Kenyans.co.ke
7. From Nairobi to Kisii on motorbike. How 2 men beat city lockdown. The two men started their journey from Nairobi at 6 am and were able to evade all security roadblocks and get to Kisii at around noon. The villagers who knew about the Nairobi lock down were left in shock. Click here to read more. Nation
8. Tory Lanez: Meet his Kenyan family. Apparently, Tory Lanez’s dad is an ordained minister who lives in Kenya and has a Kenyan wife. Click here to read more. Kenyans.co.ke
9. Why Uhuru made impromptu visit to K24. Uhuru is reported to have driven himself to Media Max offices, where he joined a board meeting to chart the way forward on employees’ salary cuts and the fate of current Media Max CEO. Click here to read more. Kenyans.co.ke
10. MPs seek answers from Matiang’i and Kagwe over isolation of curfew offenders. Interior CS Fred Matiangi and his Health counterpart Mutahi Kagwe have been invited to appear before a Parliamentary committee to explain the process of isolation of individuals found breaking the state-sanctioned dusk-to-dawn curfew. Click here to read more. Capital News.
Trending on YouTube:
- Khaligraph Jones ft Masauti Hao. Official Music Video. 917k views in 4 days.
- Sauti Sol Brighter Days ft Soweto Choir. 910k views in 1 week.
- Bahati: Pain as Bahati speaks out|Reasons why I shut down EMB record label. 284k views in 1 week.
- Daily Nation. Homa bay driver’s full viral video claiming he is healthy. 167k views in 5 days.
- Willy Paul x Nadia Mukami. Nikune. 623k views in 1 week.
- Mark Angel Comedy Househelps. 998k views in 2 days.
- Boondocks Gang 420. 215k views in 6 days.
- Mark Angel Comedy National Lockdown. 1.6M views in 1 week.
- Daily Nation Professor Ken Walibora buried in Cherang’any, Trans Nzoia County. 129k views in 4 days.
- Muigai Kigutha. Thai thai Ngai by Wanjiku Muigai and Muigai Njoroge. 70k views in 1 day.
***Feel free to leave your comments for the improvement of this column at the bottom of the page. Follow us on twitter @trends_deku and like our page on Fb at trendsdeku to stay on top of Kenyan Opinion and trends***