1. DP Ruto – The Deputy President has been trending for a number of reasons. First, he uploaded a post today in which he and a handful of people, including his wife, are in a service at his official Karen residence chapel. He and his wife appeared to be leading the service. This received mixed reactions, with people like Alai criticizing the move, saying that it was wrong to make politics a matter of who was more godly than the other. On the other hand, many praised Ruto, praising his godliness.
There have also been talks about a looming coalition pitting Daniel Moi, Uhuru and Raila against the Deputy President. His followers have been persistent in the declaration that no weapon formed against Ruto will succeed.
2. Mashirima – It was Mashirima Kapombe’s birthday and KOT wholeheartedly wished her all the best. They only joked that she’s called Kapombe because she is Pombe’s daughter and therefore a smaller version of Pombe.
3. Tanzania – Our neighbors were trending because today marks their 56th birthday. It has been 56 years since Tanganyika united with Zanzibar. They were also trending after it emerged that the authorities were secretly burying corona virus victims to avoid admitting just how much the country has been affected by the virus. The authorities are also reportedly giving false figures on the number of people who have contracted corona.
4. Health CS Mutahi Kagwe – KOT continue to express their anger and discontent against Mutahi Kagwe. They now think of him as overrated. Upon announcing that select hotels would be operational provided they maintained social distancing, some KOT raised concerns about vibandas, such as who would enforce social distancing there. People are of the opinion that even small joints will take the opportunity to open. The CS has been accused of sponsoring a hashtag, #FireKEMRI to help reduce the backlash he received on twitter after firing a top researcher at KEMRI.
5. CentumForKenyans – Centum has started a campaign to feed Kenyans who cannot afford food. The Centum Foundation is asking well-wishers to buy food hampers by sending 999 to the Paybill 7186491. For every hamper bought, the foundation pledges to buy an additional hamper. The initiative has been received well by KOT.
6. Nairobi and Mombasa – The new cases announced today are distributed between Nairobi and Mombasa. Some KOT have called for other counties to help the two most affected, saying that they should follow the example of Kitui. Some are also calling for a total lockdown in Nairobi and Mombasa with others claiming that the only reason the cities have high number of infections is because they are the only ones carrying out testing. People in the 2 cities have continued to suffer the effects of lockdown, since they cannot go elsewhere and some are not working and therefore cannot earn money.
7. FireKEMRI – Under this hashtag, some KOT have commended Mutahi Kagwe’s action of firing a top researcher, saying that we cannot afford any poor performance at this time. They think the CS was justified and that he should be allowed to do his work in peace. However, another group of KOT first of all think that the CS paid influencers to sponsor this tweet as a PR stunt and that he acted rashly and should not have fired a top researcher in the middle of a pandemic. Others are convinced that the researcher was fired because the government is trying to hide something; either the mismanagement of funds as Moses Kuria claims or the release of fake covid-19 test results as Robert Alai recently tweeted.
8. Sonko – Sonko took to social media to protest his association with Tanga tanga after his recent visit to the DP. The Daily Nation reported that as a result of this visit, Mike Sonko’s security detail has been withdrawn. A good number of KOT are sympathetic towards him. Others, though, are of the opinion that he should deal with it because he was once on the right side and that he should feel what it is like to be on the other side.
9. Supa mojo – Indomie have done a successful campaign for their new product, supa mojo. An army of influencers have been slowly and surely building up the curiosity into supa mojo. Finally, it has been revealed to be an indomie brand.
10. Kilimani – A group of 18 people was arrested in Kilimani after a resident reported a party to the police. The 18 people: 2 boys, 5 women and 11 men were all naked and were in possession of a camera.
Trending on Digital News:
1. It Will Cost Taxpayers Ksh4.5 Billion to Repatriate Kenyans – It will cost Kenyan taxpayers a total of Ksh4.5 billion to bring home fellow citizens stranded abroad due to the Covid-19 pandemic in China. This is as the Chinese Ambassador to Kenya was summoned to answer to reports that Kenyans in China were being mistreated. Click here to read more. Kenyans.co.ke
2. State reveals more grabbed Nairobi land after Ruai sewer saga –
In new details released over the weekend, it emerged that the entire Kahawa West treatment ponds, with an acreage of four hectares (9.8 acres), had been encroached on. Click here to read more. Standard Digital
3. Police Sprayed Acid on Medics at Roadblock – KMPDU – Speaking during a presser on Monday, April 27, KMPDU Deputy Secretary-General Chibanzi Mwachonda noted that some medical personnel had been teargassed and sprayed with acid while heading to their work stations. Click here to read more. Kenyans.co.ke
4. It is illegal to take curfew violators into quarantine – Legislators have declined to approve rules imposing Sh20,000 fine for anyone found without a mask and another sanctioning forced quarantine for curfew violators, terming them punitive. Click here to read more. Standard Digital
5. TSC to pay Sh5 million for sex abuse by teacher – The Court of Appeal has affirmed an order finding that the Teachers Service Commission (TSC) ought to bear the responsibility of sex pests preying on children in schools. Click here to read more. Standard Ditigal
6. Coronavirus: How to clean your smartphone safely – While you may want to clean your smartphone to avoid the risk of coronavirus infection, some substances can damage the device. Click here to read more. People Daily
7. North Korea’s Kim ‘alive and well’: Seoul – North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is “alive and well”, a top security adviser to the South’s President Moon Jae-in said, downplaying rumours over Kim’s health following his absence from a key anniversary. Click here to read more. k24
8. Temperature check, 30-minute beers as restaurants reopen – Alcohol can only be sold in a restaurant when ordered with a meal. This is part of the new regulations restaurants have been given as the state slowly eases restrictions on business operations. Click here to read more. The Star
9. Recruitment of youth for hygiene program underway in Mombasa – A committee has been established under the chairmanship of Mombasa County Commissioner (CC) Gilbert Kitiyo to oversee the coordination and implementation of the program whose recruitment started on Sunday. Click here to read more. kbc
10. Testing COVID-19 costs KSh 100 in Senegal while Kenyan hospital charges KSh 10k for same service – Researchers at a laboratory in Dakar have developed a lowcost test kit that uses blood or saliva samples to diagnose COVID-19. Click here to read more.
Trending on YouTube:
- Khaligraph Jones ft Masauti Hao. Official Music Video. 1M views in 4 days.
- Mark Angel Comedy Househelps. 1.2M views in 3 days.
- Sauti Sol Brighter Days ft Soweto Choir. 940k views in 1 week.
- Daily Nation. Homa bay driver’s full viral video claiming he is healthy. 182k views in 6 days.
- Muigai Kigutha. Thai thai Ngai by Wanjiku Muigai and Muigai Njoroge. 104k views in 2 days.
- Bahati. Covid-19. Mwisho wa Dunia. 110k views in 22 hours.
- Willy Paul x Nadia Mukami. Nikune. 646k views in 1 week.
- Bahati: Pain as Bahati speaks out|Reasons why I shut down EMB record label. 291k views in 1 week.
- Daily Nation Professor Ken Walibora buried in Cherang’any, Trans Nzoia County. 139k views in 5 days.
- Boondocks Gang 420. 228k views in 1 week.
***Feel free to leave your comments for the improvement of this column at the bottom of the page. Follow us on twitter @trends_deku and like our page on Fb at trendsdeku to stay on top of Kenyan Opinion and trends***